Hope you had a great weekend!
Here's a posting of near daily cycling news from across the country, and sometimes
interesting things from around the world. If I missed a worthy piece, please pass it on
to me. As always, comments welcome.
- Green party eyes first possible seat in Ontario (CTV.ca, Oct 07) also here
Best of luck to him and the Green party. Only bad thing I can say is about his store's BSO policy but he still runs a great store. That's where I bought my daughter's first pair of cycling gloves.
- Driver's Handbook Puts More Focus On Cyclists (Torontoist, Oct 08)
and we did this here
- Halifax needs a leader who'll give us back our heart (The Daily News, Halifax, Oct 06)
- A vicious cycle (Winnipeg Free Press, Oct 06)
- Don't hit me, driver (Winnipeg Free Press, Oct 06)
- Ride-and-park Vélib lets tourists experience Paris from two wheels (The Gazette, Montreal, Oct 06)
- Cycling Gains Ground in NYC (Associated Press, Oct 08)
"theft is the No. 1 challenge facing New York cyclists, safety is No. 2"
also here, and here
- Italian cyclist Bettini's world title-winning bicycle stolen (AFP, Italy, Oct 08)
Seems like even the bike racers have bike theft concerns as well, hear about the Canadians?
- Mangalore: Government withdraws bicycle scheme for urban poor (Mangalorean.com, India, Oct 09)
- Brakes Applied to Haleakala Bicycle Tours (About - News & Issues, Hawaii, Oct 8), also here
- Safe Streets (The Daily Score, CA, Oct 08)
Because cycling is a safe activity!
- State eyes network of bicycle paths (Boston Herald, Oct 08)
- Bicycle parade pedals through perils of history (Athens Messenger, OH, Oct 08) also here
- Humour: How to talk to non-cyclists (BikeRadar.com, Oct 08)
- Helmet aversion, petrol boost bicycle sales (Viet Nam News, Vietnam, Oct 08)
- Could cycling mob take over Minneapolis' streets, too (Minneapolis Star Tribune, MN, Oct 07)
?!? I'm really glad that in Toronto our kids can safely ride with us during Critical Mass
- Tempe named bicycle-friendly community (EVLiving, Arizona, Oct 07)
I wish we had a Canadian version of The League of American Bicyclists to stuff like this here, look these cities are all rushing to get this, and celebrating when they do!
- Police Crack Down on Cyclists (WJLA, DC, Oct 07)
Another day, another bunch of complaints against those nasty cyclists who "all" break the rules. Like motorists are blamless?
- Cyclists need to obey rules of road (Arizona Republic, AZ, Oct 09) which is in response to:
- Sharing the road (Arizona Republic, AZ, Oct 06)
I like the link to the pamphlet in this article. Perhaps our own MOT could publish something like that here for both cyclists and motorists!
- Police hunt road rage cyclist (Swindon Advertiser, UK, Oct 07) also here
- Safety argument against cycling doesn't travel (Sydney Morning Herald, Australia, Oct 08)
Get out and ride people, more proof that there is safety in numbers!
- Letter: City would do well to encourage bicycle use (Billings Gazette, MT, Oct 07)
- Cyclists still flout pedestrian zones ban (Oxford Mail, UK, Oct 06)
- Hearing on free bicycle initiative (RTE.ie, Ireland, Oct 09)
Gadgets and Gizmos
- New Belts and Cuffs (Velorution, Oct 5)
Will I need a fashion news section at some point? I can only hope so!
- The Down Low Glow: Neon Safety Lights for Bikes (Rock the Bike)
Kewl effect, I want one! But is this fashion, or a gizmo? Or is it both!
- Cannondale's Quantum Leap in bicycle design: the ON concept (Gizmag, Australia, Oct 07)
No question here, it's a gizmo that is pure fashion!