Here's a posting of occasional cycling news from across the country, and sometimes interesting things from around the world. If you have a worthy piece, please pass it on to me.
- Busy week coming up for politically involved Cyclists (ibiketo.ca)
Jan 21-25, It's busy, busy -- like it was Bike Week already! But it's still wintertime!
I hope to see you at one, or more, of these events!
- Ontario cyclists get a tax break (Brock Press, Jan 8)
What do you think, is this just a cheap play by the Liberals to get the "cyclist" vote, or does this actally reflect their priority and forthcoming bicycle friendly policies towards cyclists?
- NOTL resident against multi-use trail (The Standard, St.Catherines)
I wonder what the quote, “you cannot provide a safe trail across driveways.” says about the Martin-Goodman trail and the Boulevard Club?...
- Citizens urged to leave their cars at home more often (Nothernlife.ca, Sudbury, Nov 16, 2007)
Citizens say "Nice idea, but.." (read the comments)
- Teen pleads guilty after killing cyclist (Winnipeg Free Press, 4 Jan)
And faces a maximum penalty of two years jail...
- Safer streets a fitting memorial for cycling mom (Victoria Times Colonist, 20 Dec, 2007)
"fewer crashes in recent years"... "However, the crashes that do occur are often catastrophic."
- City committee gives $500K boost to bike paths (cbc.ca, Winnipeg, Dec 12, 2007)
- Money wasted on cyclists: NRMA (Sydney Morning Herald, Australia, Jan 10)
Sometimes it is interesting to see how others perceive us, even if it is depressing. However, as we also see here in Toronto, if it's still faster/easier to drive, and when the bike lanes go anywhere or don't connect with more routes, cyclists won't use them
- Officials, cyclists to watch for bicycling law (SW Iowa News, Jan 9)
Should cyclists be "intended" road users, or "permitted" road users?
- C-Charge 'putting cyclists in danger (Islington Gazette, UK, Jan 9)
- Ensley: Roads can be scary for cyclists, but sidewalks are scarier (Tallahassee.com, FL, Jan 8)
- Man gets 14 years for stealing bicycle (Malawi's Daily Times, Jan 8)
- Country cyclists win reprieve from railways bike ban (theage.com.au, Jan 8)
Gadgets, Gizmos & Fashion
- RECALL:Pacific Cycle Recalls Children's Trailer Bicycles; Can Detach from Adult Bicycle (Reuters - 8 Jan)