Here's a posting of occasional cycling news from across the country, and sometimes interesting things from around the world. If I missed a worthy piece, please pass it on to me.
- Cool ride (Globe and Mail, Jan 31)
- Air pollution's a constant threat to Canadian hearts (Canada.com, Jan 29)
cycling is good for our hearts and doesn't pollute, too. Now we have soem more good reasons to call on governments to increase cycling related investments.
- Proposed transit hubs may shun cars (Toronto Star, Jan 28)
Aahh, To dream the impossible dream
Also (Toronto Star, Jan 30)
“Plowed bike lanes and secure storage at transit stations are vital to persuading people to take their bikes to work in the winter, said Councillor Adrian Heaps, chair of the Toronto Cycling Committee.”
Like in Calgary?
Also, more about winter cycling in Moscow
- Cycling senselessly (The Record, Jan 28)
- and my rebuttal: Drivers must share the roads with others (The Record, Jan 30)
- another rebuttal: He's welcome to cycle (The Record, Jan 31)
- and another rebuttal: More about sharing the winter roads (Take The Lane, Jan 30)
and a discussion of the original here
- Providing Access To Sports And Recreation For Everyone (Press Release, Jan 30)
Hey, those of us who ride for transportation also get exercise, and improve our local (and global) environment as well!
- County to seek $1-million provincial grant (Orangeville Citizen, Jan 30)
- Councillors want more information about bridge costs (The Record, Jan 29) also here
- Sharing the road doesn't mean drivers can hog it (The Gateway Online, Jan 30)
a rebuttal to this
- Marijuana club will help chronically ill (Nanaimo Daily News, Canada, Jan 28)
Reminds me of my first job, which was delivering (prescription) drugs on my bike
- Driver drops bid to sue family of boy he killed (CNN.com, Spain, Jan 30)
- Cyclist ‘misled’ by traffic signals (News & Star, UK, Jan 31)
Lakeshore and Windemere is one examples of the confusing intersection like the one described, found in Toronto's
- Cyclists caught in crackdown (Norwich Evening News, UK, Jan 31)
- Reminders that drivers can be intolerant of cyclists (Charleston Post Courier, SC, Jan 30)
- Cyclists Court Death Daily (Miami New Times, FL, Jan 31)
- Bangkok's old style bicycle shop (Thai News Agency MCOT, Thailand, Jan 31)
- Cyclist Deaths Up, Pedestrian & Driver Deaths Down in '07 (Gothamist, NY, Jan 30) also at Streetsblog
- Naples community policing officers get grant for bicycle education (naplesnews.com, FL, Jan 31)
- Cyclist suing fellow rider admits element of risk (Scotsman, UK, Jan 30)
- Cyclist left a quadriplegic sues over crash (Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia, Jan 30)
Isn't there a tunnel like this on the Don River trail?
- 'Driver sending text killed cyclist' (Daily Echo, UK, Jan 29)
Every cyclist's worst fear brought to light in this court
- More cyclists dying on county roads (Oxford Mail, UK, Jan 29)
- Number of cyclists treated for serious injuries doubles (This is London, UK, Jan 28)
- Bike plan has cyclists enthusiastic (News-Leader.com, MO, Jan 28)
"You gotta have a BHAG to move forward."
- Crash cyclist can't remember his family (Sunderland Echo, UK, Jan 28)
- New York and Chicago Groups Receive $15,000 REI Grants to Improve Bicycling (Bike Commute Tips Blog, Jan 29)
- The truth about PML-Q’s ‘bicycle’ (Daily Times, Pakistan, Jan 27)
Subverting the image of a bicycle? Say it isn't so!
- Bicycle Club Interest Gauged (Tampa Tribune, FL, Jan 23)
- Cycling Tips: What Every Cyclist Should Know (Bicycling, Jan/Feb 2008)
Gadgets, Gizmos & Fashion
- Safe Turn: the fully-automatic indicator for cyclists (gizmag, Jan 22) Safe Turn