I just received BIXI Toronto's July newsletter and these are the milestones they've reached in just over 2 months:
- Average time/trips (for members): 12 min. 54 sec.
- Average distance/trips (for members): 2.15 Km
- Number of persons who have tried the system so far: 17,903
- Busiest day: July 1st (with 2,907 trips made)
- Total distance travelled so far: 244 998 km (50 times the distance between Vancouver and Halifax!)
- Number of trips since launch (since May 3): over 100,000
I just got back from Montreal where BIXI was born. The bikes are a bit older, and some are a bit worse for wear, but they've stood up to some rigorous use. Montreal has some great separated bike lanes, which tonnes of bike traffic, but not every street is good for cycling. They too have many streets like Toronto's but with the large coverage of BIXI you see people biking even on the less friendly streets. In Toronto we've got fewer friendly bike lanes, but BIXI is just as popular and may reach its 1 millionth ride in less than one year. A big achievement in Rob Ford's Toronto.