Here's the (near) daily post of cycling news from across the country, and sometimes interesting things from around the world. If I missed a worthy piece, please pass it on to me. Comments welcome.
- Route Verte Green Route (AM 940, Montreal, Aug 8)
related: Official international inauguration of the Route verte (Press Release, Aug 10)
- Bike Strike (The Stranger, Seatle, August 8, 2007)
I woder if Toronto cyclists could ever pull a stunt like this off?
- Facebook Friday: Cycle and the city (Torontoist, Aug 10)
Perhaps there's hope that we can!
- The Lower Don Rides Again (Torontoist, Aug 9)
Also: Lower Don trail reopens this weekend (Dodgeville, Aug 10)
Many more news items follow...
- Narrow pothole along Bay a serious risk for cyclists (Toronto Star, Aug 6)
- Bike helmets given away (The Record, Kitchener, Aug 9)
related: McGuinty Government Working to Reduce Injury in Ontario (Press Release, Aug 8)
- Study: More kids die in ATV accidents than bicycle accidents (Associated Press, Charleston, W.Va., via canoe.ca, Aug 10)
- Cyclist pushes it to the limit (The Gazette, Montreal, Aug 10)
- Internet TV Broadcaster JumpTV Acquires Cycling TV for $4.95 Million (Digital Media Wire, Aug 10)
- Looking presentable after your commute (edmontonjournal.com, Aug 8)
- Like riding a bike (edmontonjournal.com, Aug 8)
- North Bay needs new sports facilities (North Bay Nugget, Aug 7)
- Green leader joins Jolley's bike tour (The Sun Times, Owen Sound, Aug 10)
Is it just a concidence that the Owen Sound bike store is called "Jolleys alternative wheels"?
- New Cycling brochure and route map from Ontario's West Coast - Huron County (PPOL News, Aug 9)
- Days of chasing shadows on my bike (The Daily Press, Timmins, Aug 10)
- Road plan off to public review; No council discussion on Lansdowne widening (Peterborough Examiner, Aug 8)
- Parisians show their va va voom as city rolls out 'freedom' bike scheme (Times Online, London, Aug 9)
- Mystery Over Cyclist (Guelph Tribune, Aug 10)
Police are seeking information ...
- Cyclist badly hurt in accident; police searching for driver (The Sudbury Star, Aug 9)
- Cyclists need a fair go (Herald Sun, Victoria Australia, Aug 10)
- Cyclists hit by road rage (couriermail.com.au, Aug 11)
- New 'sharrows' a friendly reminder to city's motorists (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Aug 10)
- Bikes Belong Launches New Website (PPOL News, Aug 1)
- Cycle of litigation (The Aspen Times, Aug 11)
- Pedal power the way to go (theage.com.au, Melbourne Australia, Aug 11)
- Bicycle Industry Universal Catalog (Dirt Rag, Aug 10)
- Speak out for cyclists (Orlando Sentinal, Aug 10)
- Want a hassle-free vacation? Try touring on your bicycle. (Wyoming Tribune-Eagle, Aug 10)
- Following some easy tips can help reduce bicycle thefts (The Des Moines Register, Aug 10)
- Ministry plans to make cyclists put on helmets (The Taipei Times, Taiwan, Aug 11)
- Second Wind Blowing on the Bicycle Path (Journal Le Jacques-Cartier, Aug 11)
- Boys robbed by thugs (Toronto Sun, Aug 11)
- Stories from runners and cyclists in the home of the brave (Los Angeles Times, Aug 13!!)
I've noticed a bit of trend in this set of news:
- Cyclists are hated, and have difficulty fighting back.
- Cyclists are often pushed to the sides of, or entirely off, the roads where possible, sometimes with the excuse that it's for their own protection
- Cyclists, the victims, should wear expanded polystyrene talismans to ward of the malice on the roads, but training is never offered even though it would do the most good